Friends and Information
If we can’t meet your need, we will try to find someone who can. For some of the references with multiple links, they are provided for information only.
Jen Shryock, Animal Behavior Consultant
Jen Shryock of Family Paws is a nationally recognized animal behavior consultant and a founding member of the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants (IIABC). She is a frequent quest on radio programs across the country and her programs have been profiled in the Wall Street Journal and other publications. Dogs&Storks™ is the trusted program for new and expecting families with dogs. She is also a trusted advisor and true friend to Able Dog.
The Pet Pantry
The Pet Pantry was formed with one very simple goal: making life easier for pet lovers by bringing the best All-Natural and Holistic pet foods, treats, and accessories right to their door. Gracie and Jax love the food and certainly are happy when Thor personally delivers to our house (and he leaves treats!)
Pettyjohn’s Carpet Cleaning
With pets (and kids) “accidents” can happen. Pettyjohn’s Carpet Cleaning is by far the most qualified and trusted carpet and rug service in the Greater Triangle area. They are warranty providers for Dupont, Solutia, and Monsanto. Their cleaning method is recommended by most major carpet manufacturers, including Shaw Industries, the largest in the world. But above all, Robert and Karen Pettyjohn are about the nicest people you will ever meet.
The Purr and Bark Veterinary Mobile Doctor
Running Able Dog makes it hard for us to get Gracie and Jax to the vet. Thankfully, we met Dr. Regina, the “Mobile Pet Vet”. She comes direct to the house with a fully-equipped mobile clinic. The dogs are less stressed because there is no waiting room. Dr. Regina’s calm and gentle care adds to the benefits of a home visit. Check out her site and you will also learn about her “alter ego.”
Veterinary Specialty Hospital
Veterinary Specialty Hospital is our recommended 24-hour emergency veterinarian service for dogs and cats. Other vets refer clients to VSH for specialty services including oncology, neurology/neurosurgery, surgery, and internal medicine. Their professional and compassionate care has comforted us and our clients when we could not reach our regular vet. They have locations in Raleigh and Cary.
Sue King Animal Massage
Sue King of Companion Chi is another friend whose calm and gentle touch is a healing experience for you and your animal companions. She can also help you develop a Healing Partnership with your beloved animal companion. Animals are naturals at helping people heal, so now you can learn how to help them on their healing journeys as well.
Poison Control and Disaster Planning
- ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center 1-888-426-4435 available 24 hours (there is a fee).
- Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine 1-785-532-5679 a free service available M-F, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The Association of Pet Dog Trainers also has a page of Six Important Phone Numbers every pet owner should have.
- Including Animals in Disaster Planning, a resource provided by the NC State University College of Veterinary Medicine.
The K9 Circle
Able Dog is a member of The K9 Circle, a networking resource of other area dog care services. Check out our friends Pam Guthrie and Dan Headrick at Wag, a fun place to shop online and in the store.
Pet Rescue and Support
- Our good boy Jax came from Southern Siberian Rescue. His brother Trey the last of the litter that has not been adopted. We are trying to help him find his for forever home!
- AniMall at Cary Towne Center offers rescues and shelters a place to showcase their adoptable animals inside a public mall to increase their chances for adoption.
- Triangle Pet Rescue provides a very comprehensive list of local and national resources for pet rescue, pet loss and bereavement, traveling with pets, and health care. It includes links for the Wake County Animal Shelter, the SPCA of Wake County, and many more.
- Since its founding in 2000, Ashley’s Angel Fund has provided financial assistance in cases of life-threatening illnesses for more than 300 dogs and their owners. Donations and volunteer time are greatly appreciated.
- ReTails Thrift Shop has provided financial assistance in cases of life-threatening illnesses for more than 300 dogs and their owners. Donations and volunteer time are greatly appreciated.
Dog Training Information
- Elaine is a full member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers(APDT), a professional organization of individual dog trainers who are committed to becoming better trainers through education.
- Elaine is an ABC Certified Dog Trainer granted by the Animal Behavior College. Animal Behavior College is dedicated to improving the lives of animals everywhere through the education of animal lovers.
- Doggonesafe is an excellent resource to learn more about the facts (and myths) about dog bite prevention. Parents, please go here to learn more.
- Able Dog also uses the resources of the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants (IAABC).
Pet Sitting Information
Able Dog holds itself to the highest standards of professional pet sitting. We are members of the Triangle Association of Professional Pet Sitters and the National Association of Professional Pet Sitters.